We are so afraid to buy a non-original item in stores. If we buy clothes or shoes, we check a dozen times if this is an authentic product or a fake from China.
We choose products from well-known brands in the store because we are sure that these are already definite quality guarantees.
And yet, many of us are comfortable using unlicensed software on our computers.
But the risks from “pirate” programs are much more significant than fake jeans. You risk personal data, identity theft, payment details of your bank accounts.
And the quality of work of unlicensed programs leaves much to be desired. Therefore, we propose to figure out what are the advantages of licensed software.
What does the software license mean?
A software license is a legal right to use and distribute software products.
For the end consumer, this means that you are legally using the original, verified software product protected by intellectual property rights and cannot be held liable for this.
Risks of using unlicensed software
Using unlicensed software is risky from the point of view of incorrect operation of programs and the possibility of identity theft and fraught with legal consequences. For copyright infringement, administrative and even criminal liability.
The corresponding articles for creating, selling, storing, and using pirated software products provide fines and imprisonment as punishment.
There are other risks of using pirated software:
- Possibility of infection with computer viruses – some of them may even come bundled with unlicensed software;
- Possibility of third-party intrusion into your computer, installation of remote control or tracking devices, information leakage;
- Incorrect work of the program. Such a product has not passed the required tests;
- Even one pirated program can cause instability of the PC as a whole;
- Problems connecting accessories and optional devices;
- Lack of technical support from the developer of the software product.
Benefits of using licensed software
By contrast, the use of licensed software has a wide range of advantages. The main ones are:
- Availability of operational support from the developer company applies not only to problems with the program’s operation but also to questions about its functionality and capabilities.
- Regular updates. Developers are constantly working to improve their products. Every month there are new functions, capabilities that significantly expand the user’s capabilities. Using licensed products, you automatically receive their improved versions.
- Reliable protection. The program code will not contain malicious viruses that will “drain” your personal information and allow cybercriminals to access personal accounts.
- It is improving the functionality of technology. Because all products work correctly, the performance of a laptop or desktop computer, in general, is increased.
There are many more positives, but this list will most likely get you thinking.
Naturally, everyone decides for himself what software to use, pirated software attracts with its free, licensed quality, support, and free updates.
But most importantly, be careful.
The use of pirated software leads to administrative and criminal liability. Weigh the risks.