The new version of 3ds Max 2022 is available. The main changes in the tools are the updated modeling. Now it will be even more pleasant for designers, architects, and all 3D lovers to work.
Changes in display and rendering include setting ambient sampling in the viewport and new keyboard shortcuts.
We have highlighted eight main changes:
1. Smart Extrude Enhancements
Smart Extrude now features two new operations when performed with a Shift+Drag extrusion on an Editable Poly or Edit Poly modifier.
Smart Extrude has two new drag-and-drop operations to automatically stitch the extruded geometry to whatever part of the mesh it touches and to cut through the mesh completely. Other modifiers are updated as well.
- When performing an inward extrusion: Smart Extrude can now cut through and delete faces on any part of the mesh. The result completely extends through. The resulting hole restitches to the surrounding faces. It is similar to a boolean subtraction but performed on a polygon component.
- When performing an outward extrusion: If the result of an outward extrusion completely goes into another face on any element on the mesh, the intersecting results stitch together to form a clean result. It is similar to a boolean union but performed on a polygon component.
2. Slice Modifier Enhancement
The Slice modifier has been updated with several new features to aid modeling tasks.
- The new Radial slice type controls the slice based on the minimum and maximum angles.
- Holes created by slice operations can now automatically cap along their boundary edges on mesh and poly objects.
- Use X, Y, and Z-aligned cutting widgets to perform a planar slice on your mesh in a single operation.
- Use the new alignment options to align cutting gizmo to faces on your object or be influenced by the transforms of another thing in your scene.
- Slicing operations now process faster than ever before.
3. Symmetry Modifier Enhancements
The Symmetry modifier has improved to make modeling faster and easier.
- The enhanced performance gives faster results and more interactivity in the viewport.
- Planar symmetry supports multiple symmetrical planes (X, Y, and Z) in a single operation.
- You can quickly duplicate and repeat your geometry around the gizmo center, letting you create new variations and empower your workflow.
- Align symmetry gizmo to faces on your object or influenced by the transforms of another thing in your scene.
4. Relax Modifier Enhancement
The Preserve Volume option smooths fine detail and noise on your model while retaining its shape and definition.
The Preserve Volume option is handy when working with data that has a lot of small or microsurface detail you don’t want, such as what can be seen with Scan and Sculpt data. Reducing this noisy data with the Relax modifier can help improve the processing time of the Retopology Tools for 3ds Max.
5. Extrude Modifier Enhancements
- Performance has improved by up to 100x compared with previous releases, allowing you to quickly determine the right extrude amount on even the most complex of spline shapes.
- Improved calculation of the cap output.
The new Bake to Texture tool added in 3ds Max 2021 to bake texture maps for gaming and real-time work has received a set of 12 new pre-configured maps.
6. Bake to Texture
Bake to Texture now includes a selection of pre-configured maps to streamline frequent baking operations. The new maps are:
- Ambient Occlusion
- Material ID
- Material Input
- Rounded Corners
- Vertex Color
7. Viewport Improvements
The viewport now features more control over ambient occlusion and floating viewport.
- You can now control the viewport ambient occlusion sampling using a new setting in the Viewport Settings and Preferences dialog.
- You can make a floating viewport full screen and borderless using the viewport’s General menu or the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Spacebar.
8. Arnold Renderer
This version of MAXtoA includes:
- Imagers are available in Arnold RenderView, letting you relight your images using light mixing, removing noise, and adding bloom.
- The option to generate automatically. TX texture files when rendering
It is also worth noting that the subscription cost has increased compared to the previous versions. Still, as users who have already had time to familiarize themselves say, it’s worth it.